Skip to main content

YA Lit . Top 10


Let's be honest.  I read a lot this year, more than in years past, so I'm narrowing my top list to ten.  Five is too difficult.  Again, these are in alphabetical order.  As usual, many of my YA reads this year did not disappoint. 

A Psalm for Lost Girls by Katie Bayerl
This book was actually beautifully written.  It is a book about sisterhood and friendship with some bizarre happenings and interests.  The book is actually a sort of mystery, and I typically don't like mysteries.  Side note, I'm not sure why I put this first on the list since it really should be alphabetized by P as I did with the books that started with the...

The Boy at the Top of the Mountain by John Boyne
I am a fan of historical fiction, and this book did not disappoint.  Pierrot finds himself in Hitler's house (perhaps a stretch), but he needs to decide on which side of the war he belongs.  The people in his life make this decision difficult.  It's a WWII story that is original. 

Free?  Stories About Human Rights    Amnesty International
Last year, I decided to base the student research on issues of human rights.  This book helped form that decision.  Child labor is where I focused research, but this book talks about other human rights issues around teenagers. 

Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse
Hanneke is part of the underground market getting goods for people in need during WWII.  Her life drastically changes when she starts smuggling more than they typical coffee and cigarettes.  This book was engaging and gave a different look at the war.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
I realize this made a lot of top ten lists for the year (not merely mine), but I feel that it is deserving.  We need more brave books like this.  Most people have read this book, and if they haven't, I'm not sure why they haven't.

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar
At the end of the school year, I look at the new books in the media center and take a couple of bags home.  This book was chosen because of the cover which is lame, but it was one of the best books I read from my bags, and the story had little to do with the cover.  Carol must spend the summer on a desolate ranch helping move her grandparents from their home.  It's about family and belonging.  There is a bit of magical quality to this story which doesn't seem misplaced on the pages.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
This book is brilliant.  First, I love everything Jason Reynolds writes and could have also added As Brave as You and Patina to my top ten list of this year,  but I chose one Jason Reynolds book. Long Way Down is a novel written in verse.  Will's brother has been shot, and he needs to follow the unwritten rule to avenge his brother's death.  He is on an elevator with a gun in his waistband.  Each floor brings new realizations for Will.  Brilliant, I'm saying. 

Losers Take All by David Klass
This is a book for the underdog, the person chosen last for every athletic team.  Jack makes up a sports team to get out of playing other sports a mandate at his school.  Their goal become to lose although it become difficult. 

The Secret Language of Sisters by Luann Rice
Tilly sends a text to her sister Roo that causes Roo to have a terrible accident.  As Tilly tries to reconcile with her sister's present state and her guilt about the accident.  This story unfolds with questions and unexpected feelings of many characters.

The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne
I'm not sure how students would perceive this book.  Because I'm a political junky with a sense of my political view being the only political view, I appreciated this book.  After Kate's mom dies, she finds the father she never knew, who happens to be running for President.  To keep his family values side in check for his candidacy alive, Kate moves in with him and his family.  Her views, however, are different than her father's views.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...