Skip to main content

Nonfiction Top !0

Sherman Alexie at Talking Volumes.  He was amazing, emotional, funny,
charismatic, sincere, engaging...
I haven't gone through the numbers, but I'm sure I read more nonfiction this year than I did fiction if you eliminate the YA stuff.  Most of my nonfiction was related to diversity and/or politics.  Currently, I am reading Hillary's book which will probably make the top 10 list next year.  Again, this list is alphabetized.

A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea:  One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Los, and Survival by Melissa Fleming
I feel as though this book did an incredible job putting faces on refugees and showing the hardships in planning to leave a war torn country.  It also showed the difficulties, expenses, and harassment endured.  Doaa and her family are trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.  It's a harrowing experience and the dangers are uncountable. 

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
It was difficult to believe that this book was first written in the '60s.  It's talks about being aware of the racial inequities and making sure others are also aware, but it's more than intense.  I feel that this should be a must read for high school students, college students, and all adults.

Giant of the Senate by Al Franken
I will admit this may have been my favorite nonfiction read of the year.  I literally laughed and teared up throughout the entire book.  Franken is articulate, caring, and honest as he writes.  Current press would paint Franken to be something else, but I feel he is a champion for women's rights and basically the rights of all.  This book was a look at Franken and those with whom he works.  I can't imagine the life of a politician, especially one fighting for good.

The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Maddish
As I read (actually listened to) the first part of this novel, I kept thinking that I wish she had used less profanity, so I could share it with my students.  I had never heard of Maddish, but this book came recommended by an unusual person, so I had to read (listen to) it.  It was raunchy, vulgar, profane, and pee your pants funny!

Promise Me Dad:  A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose by Joe Biden
I always say that Joe Biden is one of those people with whom I'd love to sit down and have a beer.  Joe Biden is one of my favorites (Please don't run Joe.  I love you, but we need a younger President), and this book made me love him even more.  Joe's story is inspirational and emotional.  He really is one of the good guys.

Sisters in Law:  How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirshman
I would have never picked up this book if it had not been for one of my book clubs.  This more than any book I read this year, opened my mind to aspects of being a judge and the role of women in the justice system.  Many people may know the difficulties women face in law, but this book was full of facts and stories that made me want to learn even more.  Although I don't agree with O'Connor's politics.  Both of these women are amazing and truly leaders/ground breakers in their field.  All women (and men) should read this book.

Tears We Cannot Stop:  A Sermon to White America by Michael Eric Dyson
Of course, I feel all books on my top ten are probably must reads, but this is a book everyone should read.  Dyson's book reads like a series of sermons.  It holds the truth and is emotional and powerful.  Honestly, I think it's a book for progressives who already feel they understand racism and are fighting the good battle.  We need to make real change in our racist communities and world.

They Can't Kill us All:  Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America's Racial Justice Movement by Wesley Lowery
This book concentrates on police violence in our communities of color.  It examines specific cases and even talks with people involved.  When one looks at police violence, the deaths incurred, one can't help book look at the problems we face and try to find ideas for change.

We Were Eight Years in Power:  An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates
This book is a series of eight essays written for the Atlantic and a personal narrative of what was happening during the time and thoughts of Coates about the experiences.  It is powerful and honest.  Coates speaks of his problems with the Obama presidency.  This book was captivating and intelligent.

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie
Alexies memoir about his experiences of his mother's passing are haunting, emotional and intense.  The book is a combination of poems and essays.  It's brilliant as is Alexie.

Comments

LH said…
I've only read the Baldwin, so thanks for the recommendations.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...