![]() |
| #2017bestnine according to Instagram |

January
Of course the Women's March was a big part of January as was saying good by to President Obama. I also was privileged to see a former student of mine compete in the Minnesota Youth Poetry Slam series after helping her (not much) with her poems.

February
In February I joined with others to #resist 45's travel ban. It felt empowering, and I wish these marches were still happening with great frequency. Looking back I'm also surprised at the biking I did in February. It must have been mild for me to bike.

March
In March, a friend and I went to the Midtown global market to participated in another event to support the immigrants in this wonderful city. March also brought more biking. All in all, I think March was an uneventful month.

April
As always, April brought #30daysofbiking. I love the challenge of getting out in the varying April weather and riding some everyday. I joined the opening ride this year, and it was chilly to quite chilly. April also took me to Georgia where I rode 200 miles in 2 days with a group of five friends. I had a wonderful experience, met our lovely hosts, and can't wait to do it again this year.

May
My assistant principal bought me a box of ice cream sandwiches and delivered them to my classroom last may. She delivered them in the morning, and I ate two before lunch. May is my favorite time of year teaching because it's poetry slam time, and I love the bravery of my students. May was also my first trip to the farmers' market (who doesn't love). Friends and I also attended the Guthrie's play The Bluest Eye. I need to take more advantage of the great theater in Minneapolis.

June
I attended my first Pride Parade in June. Plus, I went back to Okoboji for the University of Okoboji Campus ride. It was a cold blustery day. I also did the Baccoon ride with a group of my Wimpy friends. It was a crazy day of bacon and beer.

July
As usual, July was a month of riding. RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) is always the last full week of July. I also did the Full Moon High Tressle ride in Des Moines, Iowa.
I also went with friends to visit the newly opened Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.

August
In August I attended a vigil for Charlottesville. It was a moving experience, and I love when like minded people ban together for good. Since I didn't ride in the Powderhorn 24 this year, I volunteered and realized I would ride next year even if I don't have a team). I also went to Milwaukee to ride my friend's beer garden ride as a last hurrah to summer.


September
Wow, September was absolutely crazy. Of course it brings back to school, but it brought so much more. I saw Sherman Alexie at talking volumes. As I pointed out in one of the year end book posts, he's amazing. I also saw the U2 Joshua Tree tour. U2 was unbelievable. In addition, I saw Matchbox 20 and The Counting Crows (half of the concert was in the rain, and it was a blast).

October
Once again, I traveled to Iowa to ride the Sloof Ride with my fellow wimps. It's beautiful to ride county roads and trails in Iowa during harvest season. Wing Young Huie, once again, visited my classroom and engage my students. I also traveled to Dallas to help my college roommate and her husband with Sports Xtravaganza (a track meet for visually impaired youth). It's an annual event that I cherish.

November
November was another full month. Dan Brown was in St. Paul for Talking Volumes. Trevor Noah was in Minneapolis. Trevor Noah was laugh so hard I cried funny. I went with wonderful friends, and we all needed this night out. To finish the busy weekend, I went to a Rams game with my friend Sarah. I still haven't seen the Rams win in person, but I hope it changes if they come back through Minneapolis during the playoffs. Britt Britt, my friends' lab spent Thanksgiving with me to end the month.

December
I rode the first three days of December which is wild considering it -14º today on the last day of December. I cooked my first ham for Christmas as friends visited and had a lovely time as they stayed with me on and off during break.


Comments
Thanks for the cool recap.