Each year around this time, typically MEA weekend, I travel to Dallas to hang out with my college roommate. Her husband is one of the coordinators of the Sports Extravaganza. It's a track and field event for kids who are visually impaired. I talk to the high school volunteers and get kids lined up on the track. This year our morning volunteers lacked a little personality, but the runners make up for it with their enthusiasm.
At lunch, we were delivered a high school sophomore or junior who came alone. She had helped on person out in the morning and was sent to us for the afternoon. All afternoon she helped, smiled, chatted, and was an amazing volunteer. When the events were over, she even stayed to help us tear down the track and get everything back to the "barn." She kept saying it was a great experience, and I kept trying to make sure she had fun too. It's a blessing to work with a young lady who will certainly make our future a better place.
Not only is the event and wonderful experience, but I also get to spend time with one of my best friends. We don't see each other very often, but we are able to pick up where we left off. Many of the other volunteers believed we were sisters because of the way we interacted.
Comments