Last night I went to Black Dog Cafe in St. Paul for Be Heard the Minnesota Youth Poetry Slam Series. As I mentioned before, one of my students from last year performed. The ages of the slam range from 13 to 19. She's 13, and she did amazing. She made it out of the first round, into the second round, but she didn't make the final six. All of the poets were amazing and the place filled to capacity (glad I arrived early). I really didn't want to go. It's cold out. My sinuses were causing problems. And, well, this next week is going to suck as we move closer to the inauguration. It was amazing. These young poets give me faith in our future. I'm going to encourage my former student to to another event to see if she can make it to the semi-finals. More importantly, I'm going to continue to focus on our youth and the positive in this crazy country.
Last night I went to Black Dog Cafe in St. Paul for Be Heard the Minnesota Youth Poetry Slam Series. As I mentioned before, one of my students from last year performed. The ages of the slam range from 13 to 19. She's 13, and she did amazing. She made it out of the first round, into the second round, but she didn't make the final six. All of the poets were amazing and the place filled to capacity (glad I arrived early). I really didn't want to go. It's cold out. My sinuses were causing problems. And, well, this next week is going to suck as we move closer to the inauguration. It was amazing. These young poets give me faith in our future. I'm going to encourage my former student to to another event to see if she can make it to the semi-finals. More importantly, I'm going to continue to focus on our youth and the positive in this crazy country.


Comments