Faith by Michael Schmidt
When I cannot believe,
The brown herds still move across green fields
Into the tufty hills, and I was born
Higher, where I could watch them as a bird might.
When even memory seems imagined, what
Can I bring to prayer? A pair of knees.
The great faith that built a stair to heaven
As now my memory tries to climb a hill,
Becomes an old stone building, a deaf priest
Whose hand is in the pockets of his parish,
Who longs to buy a bell he'll never hear.
The water in the font is cold, I trace
A circle on my brow and not a cross.
Faithful. I don't necessarily appreciate today's poem, but it's the best I could find. Some days these words are difficult. What kind of picture goes with faithful? Pets, friends, family... I've been going to my spin classes fairly faithfully during winter mainly because I need the exercise and really like the instructor who works my ass off and seems to understand cycling. Tonight's class is a bit daunting. Yesterday I realized that I am still recovering from the flu as I fatigue quickly. I guess I'll see how the day of work goes and make the cycling decision at that point. One thing I have been faithful to is eating the spicy jelly beans. I'm starting the second bag.
Today I give thanks for...
1) open windows and screen doors (70º yesterday)
2) discussing cycling and some June rides via FB last night... I even bought a Democrat cycling jersey to wear during the campus ride (area tends to be Republican).
3) wearing sweatshirt and jeans today to work


Comments