Soooo, I ordered cycling shoes, the clip in kind, from REI outlet. When they came yesterday, I was disappointed that I couldn't wear them to spin class today because they didn't have the cleats, and they were an ugly grey. I went to REI for cleats and some advice. Martha (I think) helped me out. As we walked to the cycling shoes, I admitted that I bought them because they were cheap and wasn't necessarily happy. We talked a bit about shoes, and she explained that many shoes were on clearance. She also talked to me about my shoes and cycling. While I was explaining my biking habits, I couldn't tell if she was appalled or impressed that I rode nearly 1,700 miles on my bike with running shoes. Anyway, we started looking for shoes, on clearance, in my size. Since I have a narrow foot, buying athletic shoes is always a challenge, and I expected one as she brought out shoes. Eight pairs of shoes, one additional salesperson, and 1.5 hours later, we had a pair of shoes with cleats attached. My new shoes from the store plus cleats, a pair of socks, and two bandanas, were about the same price as the pair I had bought online from the outlet. Perhaps I should have gone into the store originally.
I'm scared to quite scared about trying clip in shoes, so I'm going to start with spinning class at the gym before I actually put new pedals on my bike. Basically, with my lack of coordination and athletic ability, something horrible could happen with these shoes, but I'm going to give it my best.
Did I mention, the pair I really liked was on clearance for $45, but it wasn't in my size. It's normally $225. Although I started out super bummed about this, I'm satisfied with my purchase and have the information to check next winter when shoes go on clearance again.
Did I also mention that I love REI and the people its employees? When I asked her if she worked on commission, she said that she did not. She was super helpful and didn't even gasp when I told her I had never camped and had only been inside of a tent once.
Comments
I guess it's a pretty good company.
Glad you have the proper equipment.