Last night after a wonderful day visiting friends in Sioux Falls, I sat out on Dad's deck and read. I looked over at the owl decoy that he used to keep the swallows from nesting in the corner and noticed they had built the nest on the top of the owl's head. Immediately, I sent a text of the picture to my dad. Next, I called him because I couldn't wait for his reaction. Of course, I found it hilarious. He, on the other hand, was not amused. After some conversation, he explained that I needed to get rid of the nest. Not knowing if I had what it took, I told him I would do my best. It wouldn't require ruining the nest, but maybe I could take it down and put it in the grass. Unsure of my ability to ruin their habitat, even if it was problematic to my father, I gingerly walked towards the owl. It was hanging from a hook, so I grabbed the bottom of the owl and removed it from the hook. As soon as I did, I noticed there were baby birds in the nest (small without hair). Knowing I couldn't kill these poor babies, I, instantly, hung the owl (and nest) back up and called Dad to inform him I would not be doing anything with the nest. Today as I finished my book on the deck, I felt good as I watched momma check on her little ones. It seems an owl decoy isn't a deterrent nor am I.
Last night after a wonderful day visiting friends in Sioux Falls, I sat out on Dad's deck and read. I looked over at the owl decoy that he used to keep the swallows from nesting in the corner and noticed they had built the nest on the top of the owl's head. Immediately, I sent a text of the picture to my dad. Next, I called him because I couldn't wait for his reaction. Of course, I found it hilarious. He, on the other hand, was not amused. After some conversation, he explained that I needed to get rid of the nest. Not knowing if I had what it took, I told him I would do my best. It wouldn't require ruining the nest, but maybe I could take it down and put it in the grass. Unsure of my ability to ruin their habitat, even if it was problematic to my father, I gingerly walked towards the owl. It was hanging from a hook, so I grabbed the bottom of the owl and removed it from the hook. As soon as I did, I noticed there were baby birds in the nest (small without hair). Knowing I couldn't kill these poor babies, I, instantly, hung the owl (and nest) back up and called Dad to inform him I would not be doing anything with the nest. Today as I finished my book on the deck, I felt good as I watched momma check on her little ones. It seems an owl decoy isn't a deterrent nor am I.
Comments
J:)
They're so clever about the nest building.