Skip to main content

Joy

Day 24: Joy
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light. On those living in a pitch-dark land, light has dawned. You have made the nation great; you have increased its joy. They rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest, as those who divide plunder rejoice. As on the day of Midian, you’ve shattered the yoke that burdened them, the staff on their shoulders, and the rod of their oppressor. Because every boot of the thundering warriors, and every garment rolled in blood will be burned, fuel for the fire. A child is born to us, a son is given to us, and authority will be on his shoulders. He will be named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be vast authority and endless peace for David’s throne and for his kingdom, establishing and sustaining it with justice and righteousness now and forever. - Isaiah 9:2-7, Common English Bible



I love Christmas eve services.  Since I have a boot on my foot, I decided it would be best not to walk the labyrinth during the labyrinth service (walking of labyrinth, poems, Bible verses, music...).  Instead I chose a pair of feet and followed them through the labyrinth.  When the feet paused, I paused and took notice.  Since the socks had hearts on them, it was easy to follow them even as more feet joined the labyrinth.  As the service ended, I found the heart socks and told their owner that I had followed her through the labyrinth since I couldn't walk it myself.


After the labyrinth service, I went out for coffee with a friend before attending the pageant service.  The quietness of the labyrinth service was broken with the loudness of the pageant service.  Little kids were squirming in their seats.  In my pew, the angel was complaining because her halo was "itchy."  When her mom looked at me with a bit of embarrassment, I explained that all of us felt a bit itchy under our halos.  Many of us even choose to take them off.  With a smile, the mom allowed the angel to remove her halo, but it went back on when it was her turn to take the stage.  Shepherds were also having difficulties with their head coverings, and everyone seemed a bit itchy and squirmy... love it.  As Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus sat in front waiting for angels and shepherds to arrive, a very young boy took a seat on Joseph's lap.  It seems that baby Jesus's brother didn't want to be left out.  Ahhhh....


Both services bring the light to the darkness and show joy in a different way.

Comments

LH said…
Happy Christmas. I hope you had fun.
Love the idea of walking the labyrinth.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...