I'm not sure when it began, but my friend S and I have shopped Small Business Saturday for the last several years. We typically shop some small shops on Grand in St. Paul because if it wasn't for S, I might not ever get to St. Paul to shop. Shopping small businesses is something I support, but it's especially fun on the Saturday after Black Friday. Today I shopped for myself as much as I did for Christmas gifts. One of my favorite purchases was a new pair of mittens (Trade Winds) that match my new coat. On small business Saturday people are friendly, and we have time to converse. We even stopped for lunch today. When I was growing up, my parents' owned a small business, and I know the stress these businesses face. It was difficult when I was growing up. I can't imagine the added stress of online shopping. Shop small (and shop with friends).
List of this year's local business:
Bibelot
Egg/Plant
Frattallone's Ace Hardware
Garden of Eden
Grand Shanghai
Ten Thousand Villages
Trade Winds
Treadle
Wet Paint

Comments
What was the name of that great book store that closed? I loved that place too.
There's a newish Garrison Keillor independent book store on Grand and Snelling.