![]() |
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_Rangers.svg |
October
by Hester Jewell Dawson
the high fly ball,
arches out above left field,
hangs there in the sky
outblazing the sun
while fifty thousand heads swings and cry
"Over the wall! Over the wall!"
arches out above left field,
hangs there in the sky
outblazing the sun
while fifty thousand heads swings and cry
"Over the wall! Over the wall!"
then hold, fixed and dumb
as the ball drops
down and down, a dead bird
into a waiting glove
as the ball drops
down and down, a dead bird
into a waiting glove
and there you have it: the song,
the flight, the perilous whisper of truth
or of love or possibly of faith
the flight, the perilous whisper of truth
or of love or possibly of faith
then the descent
and the end of the game
and the end of the game
I have actually visited the Texas Rangers stadium to watch baseball games twice. The first time was on a trip to ride roller coasters in Dallas. The coasters were a bit disappointing, but we had fun at the game because we sat in the nose bleed seats and talked to Jesus. As I recall it was a minimal crowd, so he had time to talk to us with a double rainbow in the background. We had a great time saying we talked to jē'zəs. Fun stuff.
My second Ranger game was in October (notice the title of today's poem) as I went to my first World Series game. I had visited Dallas to help my friend with a visually impaired track meet. The payback was a trip to watch the Rams play Dallas. The game ended with a Rams loss, but before I could get sad, we walked from stadium to stadium to watch the World Series game. It was fun to watch the St. Louis fans walking with the Dallas fans across the way. At least the Cardinals lost the game we saw, so it also helped the sadness. I was embarrassed of my St. Louis Rams shirt as I cheered on the Texans because I didn't want people to mistake me as a St. Louis Cardinals fan (yesterday's post should explain my thoughts about those birds). Normally I get bored at baseball games, but this was super fun and exciting!!
Today I give thanks for...
1) Spring Break starts tomorrow
2) L watching Kitty Klaus while I'm in Mexico
3) cookies for breakfast

Comments