Tonight I had the pleasure of attending two book clubs. Both book groups read beautiful books and the conversation was delightful. One of these books was Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Rereading this book was a pleasure as was tonight's conversation. Angelou's writing is poetic and powerful. Our meeting began with "On the Pulse of a Morning". This was the poem Angelou wrote and recited at Bill Clinton's inaugural address.
Take the time and listen. What can we take away from this poem today with recent events besides the mere beauty of this poem?
This is a stanza that "rings true" to me:
"You, created only a little lower than
The angels, have crouched too long in
The bruising darkness,
Have lain too long
Face down in ignorance. "
Maybe it's the current events. Maybe it's the frightful cold. Maybe it's the gloom of February. I'm not sure. Although the poem is basically uplifting, this is the stanza I chose.
Comments