I don't really have the words for the last two weeks. If you follow me on FB, you've seen the pictures.
Monday, May 27th George Floyd was killed in the street.
Tuesday, June 28th Riots started in Minneapolis with some arson.
I went out to see the damage to my city/neighborhood.
Wednesday, June 29th The Third Precinct was burned. Although I'm upset about the destruction (arson, looting) to the neighborhood businesses which were mainly owned/managed by POC, I feel the precinct needed to go.
Thursday, June 30th I road my bike to Midtown to check out the destruction once again. Even midday, buildings were still burning. People were already in the streets with brooms cleaning up the area.
Friday and Saturday the looting came within a block from my house. I wasn't too concerned because they were going after businesses, but I did have an escape plan. When a black friend who lives in a southern inner suburb said she'd come get me, I told her that her black self was. not going to be put in harms way for me.
It was surreal. The entire country and other countries watched my city. I had people from all over trying to make sure I was OK. Of course, being a person of privilege, I was OK. The fear I felt for two days was the fear our POC (especially black Americans) feel every day.
Wednesday I took multiple photos of the art that went up on all the boarded businesses in Uptown and Midtown. The heart pouring of cleaning up, bringing food, adding art, etc. was amazing. I really live in an amazing city (minus our police department, especially union lead for police).
Thursday I went down to the makeshift memorial for George Floyd. Although I knew I'd be emotional, I was shocked that the sign brought me to tears (and ugly crying under my mask). People were respectful. It was a place of community. I hope they are able to keep the names of those killed at the hands of the police officers on the street. Yesterday, the mayor of DC painted BLM on the road. I love the outpouring, but we need to do more. Systemic change really needs to happen.
Comments