Yesterday I attended the celebration of life of DJ. He and his wife, SJ, are my people of gratitude today. I often sat/stood next to Dan in church. He was always jovial and kind. Because I never sing, I'd give him my bulletin if he needed the words. This would make him sing louder and try to urge me to sing. Although I never sang in church when he was there, I did sing a couple of lines today at his service.
It is clear that SJ put together this service with nothing but love and respect for him. His kayak was at the front of the church, and the picture of him raising a glass of wine on the bulletin captured his great smile and twinkle in his eyes. Although I only knew DJ from church, I felt as though I really knew him, especially as his sons and friends shared their stories. Yesterday's service had incredible music including bagpipes and a small jazz band. The words were loving and kind. I have so much gratitude for both DJ and SJ. I'm certain to quite certain DJ's legacy will live through his delightful wife and wonderful boys (men).
The older son wrote an incredible poem for his father. As we left, we were given candy gold coins that DJ was known for handing out on Christmas Eve.
Comments