I'm posting this a bit late, but I wanted to share this experience. On Sunday a few of us went to The Somali Museum of Minnesota. Our guide seemed to be a a high school young adult. She was really knowledgeable about the artifacts in museum. One of the most interesting conversations we had with this young lady was around the topic of covering. According to our guide, originally girls would have braids in Somalia; they wouldn't be covered until they were married. The change came with religious groups, but it hasn't always been this way. This young lady was not covered, and she said it was a choice of her family. When she goes back to visit Somalia, she does cover.
We had planned on eating at Quruxlow Restaurant after visiting the museum. As we finished our visit, we asked if it was the best option for true Somali food. The people in the office assured us it was. As I was struggling with the steak, I asked if they thought most Somali people ate it with their hands. Looking around, we realized that we, the only white people in the restaurant, were indeed the few people using the utensils. Most were using their fingers.
Comments
I'll check it out next time I'm up your way.