Sometimes it's difficult to find hope. Lately, I've been doing my best to ignore the news. The winter brings darkness although it is staying light later. Students have so many issues that keep them and others from learning, and it's often challenging to find hope. I have realized, however, that hope is everywhere even in small things like a dark sky if I look close enough to see the clouds reflection. Earlier this week, I physically held a girl back from going after another student (many thought I should have let her go). We breathed together, and then, we walked the halls together until she was calm enough to go to the dean's office. As we walked, we talked about alternatives to fighting and escalating behavior. She was respectful and calm as we kept walking. Later in the day, she sent me this email. Although the writing shows her lack of skill, it was sweet and gave me hope.
I'm sorry what happened to hope you can forgive me and I didn't mean to
Yep, that's it, the entire email, and still, I find hope in these words.
Comments