Recently, I've been paying a lot of attention to Lebron James donation to the Akron Public Schools. I really appreciate his mission and ideas. Plus, of course, I love the idea of giving bikes to students. On the last day of RAGBRAI, as we sat in a circle waiting for everyone to bike to the end location, we talked when people thought they would get on their bike again. I was confident that I would within the week, and I did. Others were more hesitant. One cyclist said there are years when he doesn't get on his bike again after RAGBRAI until the next year. This seems absurd to me.
Earlier in the week, after working for hours on adding Beers and Probst's BHH (book, head, heart) to reading instruction and signposts to my first three weeks of school instruction. I was feeling comfortable about my work and a bit excited for the new year. After completing some plans and new documents, I sent a text to a colleague bragging about my progress. She returned a text asking if I left room for fall testing. Fall testing? In September? What?! Yep, after I emailed a couple folks, the expectation is we're actually MAP testing our kids in September. Before I responded to and/or emailed more, I decided to get on my bike. After twenty-five miles, I was ready to engage more professionally. At least I was heard, and they moved the reading testing from the second week of school to the fourth week of school. I bet King Lebron James ensures kids aren't tested in September.

Comments