Last weekend I was talking to my brother, and he told me about the Bechtel test. After doing some research, I decided to change my plans for the week and add at least one day about representation in the media using the Bechtel test and some other tests. Wednesday we started the conversation about race and gender in Hollywood, and Thursday we started looking at movies, tv shows, and ads using the tests.
As I was drinking my coffee getting ready for school this morning, I decided kids should make their own representation test that fit themselves and their families. Each student needed a four point list that represented themselves and that they wanted to see in the media. Next, I had them find a commercial that had to hit three of their four categories. Of course for some students, this was impossible (or near impossible), so we discussed how if felt to be represented, misrepresented, and left our of the media.
I think this was a swell way to end the week. The last two weeks of school sucks. Maybe I should complain since there's only one week left. Maybe I shouldn't be posting instead of doing some final grading. Maybe I should be represented as more than someone who cooks and cleans in the media since I'm eating a salad from Punch pizza outside because my house is a disaster.
Comments
Awesome Possum.
I don't like the end of the school year.
There were tears here as the report card software kept glitching out.