I'm babysitting Britt Britt to start my summer vacation. We sit on the deck in the morning geeking on the computer and drinking coffee. We take a variety of walks during the day listening to a book on tape, March Forward, Girl. We read inside and outside depending on our moods, It Won't Be Easy: An Exceedingly Honest (and Slightly Unprofessional) Love Letter to Teaching. Sometimes Britt Britt must stay home alone while I go cycling, but basically we are hanging out together and loving the first days of summer. We even sewed up her duck that was leaving trails of stuffing throughout the living room.
Late yesterday afternoon, however, our peaceful time of hanging out came to an end. I typically only keep Britt Britt on the leash near the condos where the other dogs are present. As soon as we are away from the sidewalk area, I let Britt Britt run near the pond and up and down the area next to the railroad tracks. When I did the same yesterday, Britt Britt saw three ducks on the muck infested pond and went running. There was nothing I could do. She's fast and almost had one for dinner. One could literally smell the stench of the pond as she came out shaking and wagging her tail.
This morning we are friends again. We have taken our walk and are sitting on the deck drinking coffee and geeking on the interweb. The lesson has been learned. When we walk next to the pond, Britt Britt must be leashed.
Comments