Yesterday was an interesting day. It started with one a great song on the radio and ended with too much food in my house. Actually, it all caught me a bit off guard. As I was trying to read Ron Chernow's Grant, a text came from LH asking what I was doing for the evening. She was actually in town and wanted to bring dinner. Who was I to say no?! It was a nice reprieve for the nonfiction reading which I'm supposed to have read by Halloween. My first concern was that she might not appreciate my lack of cleanliness then I realized that her book was at school. She was in town and wasn't going to be able to sign my book.
The was all forgotten when she arrived with the largest ham I had ever seen. I'm not even kidding. It must have been 50 pounds. I wasn't even sure I had a cutting board to slice the beast, and I was certain I didn't have a knife big enough to tackle it. Of course LH was prepared. As she handed me the ham (which I almost dropped), she ran back to her car to get Pibb Xtra and a electric knife (the kind one would use on a turkey, a more palatable food). To begin I was disappointed since I was hoping to drink wine with the hame. Fortunately, LH started giggling and brought out a nice bottle of Riesling and the night was saved.
By the way, I have plenty of ham and Pibb Xtra left, but the wine is gone.
Comments
We need a good title for this fan fiction.
When Hams Come a' callin'
Might be good.