I realize I'm posting at the beginning of week #3, but I'm really posting about week #2. This school year has been hectic. The students are still very excitable? They're certainly full of energy. It could turn into a crazy year although I feel we are making small steps each day.
Last Thursday, we went to see Sherman Alexie at Talking Volumes. He was amazing as usual, funny, thoughtful, challenging.
Saturday night we went to see Counting Crows and Matchbox 20. Although I love Adam Duritz, I felt that the band tried to do too much with combining and changing songs. I get it. They've been playing these songs for 20+ years. It still was a great show, but sometimes it's good to hear the songs as you remember. Towards the end of Counting Crows set, it started to rain, so they ended with Rain King. The 12,000 fans (?) were then evacuated to the casino and nearby hotel due to lightening. After waiting the lightening out, we went back to our seats at the outdoor venue. While it was still raining Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20 started their performance. They started with Real World (rainmaker song). Matchbox 20 was wonderful mainly because I really loved watching Rob Thomas dance and sing. He's still attractive to quite attractive, and I really mean extremely attractive.
I was reminded of Sherman Alexie today and Adam Duritz during my last hour. Sherman Alexie stopped while he was talking when someone's phone went off in the auditorium. He lectured them about how no one was important enough to not turn their phone off during the performance. Adam Duritz stopped in the middle of a song on Saturday when a group of fans left before he was finished (his fans waiting for a meet and greet with him) and used the 'F" word numerous times while telling them to get back in his seat or he would suspend the show. Although I don't use the 'F' word to reprimand the 7th graders this year, I do feel that I'm stopping to get behavior in check frequently.
Comments
I guess that's what we do all day long.
FYI: Sherman's book has been challenged a lot.
Happy Banned Books WEEK!