I'm going to say that today was the perfect summer day. As I've mentioned before I am disappointed that I couldn't get a team together for Powderhorn 24 (PH24 = 24 hour ride). Last night I volunteered at registration and noticed many solo riders. Immediately, I asked if I could register to ride solo, and the answer was a vehement NO. It didn't matter I had fun. This has nothing to do with today's perfect day, but I thought I'd add it as the introduction. I'm merely going to give you an annotated list of today's activities, and you'll understand why it was perfect.
7:30 PH Breakfast Volunteer -- I arrived at the Corcoran Community Center to help set up and serve breakfast. We were ready to go by 8:00. From 8:00 to 9:00 I basically greeted and chatted with riders. Of course, I helped when needed, but I really merely chatted with folks, great, fun, somewhat exhausted riders (ride started at 7pm last night).
10:00 Midtown Farmers' Market -- I love walking around the farmers' market. Today I didn't arrive at 8 am as I typically do, so I was certain my favorite lemon ricotta cookies would be gone. Do you know what? They weren't gone. Two were left. Two were left and put into a small white paper bag for me! I also bought a couple cucumbers, kale, and tomatoes.
11:00 I at a little breakfast (two scrambled eggs and a banana) and prepared for my 24 mile ride. I needed to make a plan to attend two events.
12:00 I left to ride towards Midtown. Even though I wasn't part of the official PH24 event, I rode one lap with the other riders. It felt like I was actually riding which I was without getting my manifest punched.
When I was done with my lap, I rode to the Martin Luther King park in Minneapolis. Supposedly, there was going to be a place to write letters to the people of Charlottesville. I couldn't find them, but I talked to members of the Black Story Tellers Alliance about the "Signifyin and Testifyin" Festival. One gentleman started with, "and if you're a teacher." I said I am a teacher before he could finish. This led him to talk to me about the school concert (which is FREE).
Finally, I continued back to my neighborhood to finish my ride on the North Cedar Trail. The weather was perfect, and I was feeling good on the bike even though I hadn't rode for a week.
5:30 Grilling Every item on my dinner plate came from the farmers' market (pork chop, tomatoes, cucumbers).
Now, I will finish this post and spend the rest of the evening reading. Yay! I heart summer!!
Comments