Yesterday/today I made another trip the the Des Moines, Iowa area to ride the High Trestle Bridge. Although I've never ridden the bridge and/or trail, I had seen pictures. Since it was a full moon there were riders (and walkers) everywhere on the bridge. My guess is most people try to see the bridge at night at least once since it certainly looks awesome lit up. It's 13 stories up, so it's also a good view when it's light. Anyway, I went with some riders from my RAGBRAI team (Team Wimpy) many of us wore our new jerseys. We're going to look pretty snazzy when we role out in 12 days.
![]() |
| They pink/black jerseys are this year's jersey. The yellow was last year's jersey. It's difficult not to want to buy a jersey each year. |
Weekend highlights/lowlights... They basically intertwine. Each highlight is a lowlight.
1) We started at the Firetrucker Brewery. I had a super interesting, tasty IPA. Beer and biking is a thing, but sometimes it's not the best thing.2) 50 miles of riding was perfect to hit my goal of miles for this week.
3) Three stops (bars) on the trail (Nite Hawk, Whistlin Donkey, and Flat Tire). One of the stops had a singer from Okoboji performing as we walked through the door. Let's be honest three bar stops and a brewery makes for an "interesting" ride. I also lost my sunglasses (with clear lens) at one of these stops.
4) Since it was a full moon their were hundreds of cyclist and walkers. Cyclist and walkers don't necessarily share spaces well although they should. All cyclist had lights while some walkers didn't have even a flashlight. One can't see someone when they aren't lit meaning I had to swerve and run into the bridge.

Comments
A new jersey each year sounds like a good idea to me.