I think the trails have always been happy as I believe our country has always been great. Today I tried a little experiment based on an article I had read. The article suggested that runners and bikers should wave at each other. I've seen a similar post about giving fellow cyclists a handlebar wave as you past. Some people suggested a head nod instead of a wave to promote more safety. On my ride today, I did a little experiment. For the first ten miles, I did the handlebar wave to each cyclist (wearing a helmet) and runners on the trail. It seemed as though many gave me a nod in return, so for the last ten miles, I did the nod. Although I'm not quite sure, I'd guess my response rate was still only 50%.
Later I walked on the trail. As I was waiting to get on the trail, a cyclist gave me a thumbs up. Maybe a thumbs up is an alternative I should try. Tomorrow, on my ride, I'll give fellow cyclists (wearing a helmet) and runners the thumbs up. Cyclists not wearing helmets will only receive a look of disgust.
Comments