Soooo... After Ash Wednesday service, I decided to post a picture of light for every day of Lent. It made more sense than anything else because light really does shine through darkness. Today's picture was taken from the school parking lot as I entered the building.
My students are doing research on child labor with a list of topics (soccer balls, clothing, shoes, chocolate, cell phones, child soldiers...). I asked each class to tell me their topic for attendance. In my last class, I added, "Say something nice about me, like 'she's amazing." When I came to a student whose last name was towards the end of the alphabet, he said, "catastrophic." He is a kind hearted young man who didn't want to say the same as everyone else. Instead of a synonym, he had found an antonym but didn't know what the word meant. When I asked him if he had used the Google, he said he had. He didn't know what the word meant. I was co-teaching with the media director who found it hard to hide her laughter. It was the best. He was trying to be kind yet ended up with catastrophic. It was the best. I love seventh graders.
Today I signed all of my passes for students with Dr. Seuss instead of my name. No one noticed, at least not that I am aware.
I am thankful for...
1) light instead of darkness.
2) the kindness of students
3) happy hour on a Thursday evening
Comments