Skip to main content

Top 9 Movies



How many times have I posted this video this year?  My guess is closer to five than one.  I've embedded and linked it.  Did I mention it's on my 2016 cycling playlist?  It's fitting for today's post since I finally watched Selma.

My list today is not only the top nine movies of the year, but it is also ALL of the movies I watched this year.  Six of these have been watched in the last week.  To be honest, I am not a movie kind of person, but some of (most of) these are worth watching.  Most are also documentaries.  Once again, it's an alphabetical list.

13th
I already posted about this movie. It talks about three strikes you're out, using prisoners as slaves for companies, and basically how the prison system has continued the slavery that the 13th Amendment made illegal.  Must Watch.

180º South
Although this documentary is about a trek through Mexico and Chile, it's really about the devastation of taking away vast areas of countries.  It was beautiful, adventurous, inspiring, and sobering.

Barry
This is a Netflix documentary about Barack Obama's time at Columbia.  I'm not sure what to think since I spent a lot of the movie on the Google machine trying to figure out the truth of the documentary and Barack's thoughts on the movie.  It was a decent movie that shows Barry's struggles with trying to fit in, somewhat of a racial struggle.  I have read his autobiography, and I'm going to guess most of the movie is somewhat factual.

Catching Hell:  Inside the Bartman Debate (ESPN 30  for 30)
As a Cubs fan, I remember this game and the fan reaching to catch the ball as Alou went for the out.  I was outraged with the fan even though it was irrational to think he was the reason the Cubs didn't make it to the World Series that year.  Watching the documentary, however, I realized how horrible Cubs fan and the world treated this poor fan who did what everyone around him was trying to do.

Eight Below
Let's be honest, this was a movie we showed the students after an outdoor field trip last year.  It takes place in the arctic (?).  It has sled dogs (?).  One dog dies.  It's an adventure.  Yep, that's it...

Hip Hop Evolution
I'm not really sure if this is a documentary or a television series since it was in three parts.  Watching it reminded me of the roots of hip hop and made me want hip hop to go back to the "good 'ol days."  I have some interest in hip hop, so there wasn't a ton of new information for me... decent.

Hunting Ground
After a conversation about the latest University of Minnesota football team gang rape news story, a friend suggested this movie.  It is most certainly worth watching, especially for parents with teens and college aged students.  I will say after watching it that I'm impressed with the U of M for suspending these football players because I don't think that would happen on most college campuses.

Screenagers
Last winter, I previewed this with our media director (and principal) to see if we could bring it to my school.  It was passed up to "The Big House" and dropped.  I really think it's important video for parents and kids to view about screen time, but as of now, it's not easy to view.

Selma
Most of us know the story but watching this movie is powerful.  I realize that I'm a bit frightened about the upcoming four years.  Are we ready for another Selma?  I, for one, plan on participating in as many marches as I can over the next years.  I realize this has nothing to do with the movie.  Again, you know the story.  If you haven't watched the movie, reserve some time and do it now.  Must watch!

Secret Life of Pets
Students watched this the day before winter break.  I watched it along with the students while I was engaged in some lesson planning.  It's a cute animated movie.  Since I wasn't really paying attention, I'd ask the students questions periodically.  Does any animal die?  How did they get captured?  Who's this guy?  Does this have a sad ending?  For some reason, the students actually answered my questions and didn't seem annoyed.  Let's just say I kind of watched this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.