Skip to main content

Top 5 YA

Jason Reynolds at NCTE in Atlanta
It's the last week of the year, and I plan to use this week to look back at the year.  Today I'm starting with my top five young adult reads for the year.  This are in alphabetical order.  It was difficult to narrow down to five, so I'm not going to try to narrow down to the best.

Ready?!

All American Boys by Jason Reynolds
 Rashad is in the store getting a bag of chips when he trips over a lady and the chips end up in his bag.  He is a young black man who is now being roughed up and charged with theft.  The story unravels.  It's a great fictional look at race and the problems faced by young black men and their friends.  This realistic fiction novel could take place in any American town.
I also read The Boy in the Black Suit and Ghost (both by Reynolds) and highly recommend both.  They'd have made the list if it wasn't too long already.

Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff
Trent is a young man with a lot of emotions.  Many blame him for the death of a classmate.  Although Trent comes of as angry, part of him still feels guilty.  He is partnered up with a young girl, and although it's rocky, they start enjoying each other's company.  Both learn to like themselves a bit more.  Lisa Graff also wrote Tortilla Sun (also read this year) which although was beautiful was a harder sell to students.

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
This novel is packed with action and emotion.  It's about a young girl who becomes pregnant, dog fighting as a way of life, a family without a mother... It's a story about abuse, poverty, and love.  It was heart breaking and invigorating at the same time.  In my opinion, it gave a look into people that suffer from hurricanes, but more importantly, people who suffer because of their surroundings.

The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Totten
Adam is in a support group for students dealing with obsessive compulsive disorder.  As one would expect the meetings are interesting.  Inside the group, he's met a friend and seems to hold it together.  Outside the group he is dealing with family issues of divorce and step siblings.  Although life is easier at his dad's house, his mom needs him.  The group holds him together, and he is even able to share a part of his life with the group.  His family pulls him apart, and he needs to be able to share this with someone.


Who Will Tell My Brother by Marlene Carvell
Evan is part American Indian and would really like his school to remove the Indian mascot.  This causes the understandable struggle with administration and teens.  Racist and prejudice remarks are made as the struggle continues.  I read this book looking for an American Indian book to add to my curriculum.  This book discussed current topics of racism and mascots.  Unfortunately, this book isn't current (out of print), and I couldn't find enough copies to teach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.