I love going to NCTE (National Council Teachers of English). It is always an amazing couple of days that leave my head spinning with new ideas. This year I focused on my sessions on reading and inquiry. Plus, I made sure I saw all of the "big name" authors/educators I wanted to see. Although I had planned on attending one more session this afternoon, I skipped it and ended with the words of Kylene Beers, Ernest Morrell, Kwame Alexander, and Pam Allyn. Listening to them was inspiration, and I felt it was a good way to end the workshops. These are amazing people doing and saying amazing things, and I felt blessed to be in their presence. When I arrived and saw Beers in the aisle, I thanked her for making my job easier with Notice and Note. In return, she gave me a big hug.
I also took time off one session today to go to the Civil Rights Museum in Atlanta. Words can't express my feelings as I walked through the museum. It's probably not surprising that I teared up a couple times on the journey. We do need to be the advocates and agents of change my friends. Plus, I bought a cool mug and cute purse.
Comments