Let's be honest, I don't have the words to describe my feelings or frustrations any more than anyone else (and probably less than most). Last night I did not stay up and watch the election results. I didn't watch at all. Since I've been sick and am on antibiotics, I went to bed. When I went to bed, I had NO idea that it was at all possible that Clinton wouldn't be our first female president. After all, I had already book my flight for the inauguration. Texts and messages started coming through, so I understood the gravity of the situation when I awoke this morning. Instead of watching the news or spending a lot of time on social media, I prepared for school.
As the students started walking in this morning, it was obvious that it would be a difficult day. Over 65% of our students are students of color. This means everything to these kids and their families. My journal entry today was a good start. My two listening videos were of Malala Yousafzai. Although I had planned on using the videos, it was a good conversation starter about our beliefs. Most of the students in my class still believe that they can make a difference, and this is important. As the year continues, I will give them the words and power to share their ideas and beliefs. I do not want them to feel powerless even though I feel a bit powerless today.

Comments
Are you going to be in Atlanta for NCTE?