Last night was the first Talking Volumes. The author was Elizabeth Alexander. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I really didn't know anything about her. Although I read her book, I didn't look into the author. When we were sitting waiting for the discussion to start, J said she was a poet. Instantly I knew what made her memoir so beautiful. She was a poet. As she started speaking I was enthralled. She was is intelligent and kind and a true beautiful human. Her memoir is about her loss, but it is really more of a love story. I fell in love with her as she spoke. It seems I should have known Elizabeth Alexander. She read and inaugural poem at Obama's first inauguration (I was there! BTW, Kerri asked if she was shaking. "Yes," I whispered, "It was cold."). Of course, I used the Google machine to find it as she spoke. I knew the poem and not her. Now, I know her. When I get a chance (reading is piling up), I'm going to purchase a book of her poetry.
Oh, and Krista Tippet joined Elizabeth and Kerri on stage at the end for a couple of questions and a story. Delightful.
The next author is Carl Hiaasen (next Wednesday). When Kerri Miller (the host) stopped by our seats, I told her I had a question about his chauvinism to ask him next week. I'll need to reword it...

Comments