I am in the process of finishing my laundry and putting the camping gear back in storage. Another year of RAGBRAI is finished. Before I started to post, I looked at last year's posts. Unless one rides RAGBRAI, I don't think it can be explained. This year's ride was BRUTAL. Although the last two days were less hilly, the hills were relentless.
I actually sagged (quit riding and received a ride into the last town) on the second day with 25 miles of the 75 miles remaining. As I was standing in line to fill up my water bottles at the meet-up town, I was having difficulties breathing. When I mentioned aloud that it would be stupid for me to keep riding when I couldn't breathe, a stranger behind me agreed. Of course, I got back on the bike, but before we left town, I decided to sag. The friends riding with me agreed. We went over the steps of catching the sag although I didn't need them because we were close to a official RAGBRAI tent. The day was so crazy (hot, humid, hilly) that they actually had a semi for the bikes and two busses (plus three vans) for the saggers.
After the second day of riding, I told my friend that got me involved with my team, Wimps, that if this had been my first year of RAGBRAI that it would be my last. He reminded me of the fun we had on Sunday's ride and the great people we were riding with and disagreed with my statement. Of course, this is the truth. As I post today and look at pictures of the ride, I remember the fun and camaraderie.
The charter ride from Muscatine to Cedar Rapids was somewhat quiet since the week was exhausting. I had the opportunity to drive a fellow Wimp and new friend back to Cedar Falls on Saturday afternoon. It was his first RAGBRAI. As we reminisced and discussed the week's adventures, he asked how one can explain this week to people that haven't ridden it. We talked about Mr. Pork Chop and the other great vendors, the small town kindness and generosity, the laughter and crazy events that happened while riding and in host towns, the new friendships, etc. I was amazed that neither of really talked about the hills that never stopped. I will be back next year, and I won't remember the grueling hills, but I will remember the incredible people.
I will say, however, that I feel more accomplished after this years ride. My body accomplished things that I would never have imagined. Even with my asthma, I climbed hills that I would have never imagined. My hill climbing also became a joke. On the last day, we were riding with a fellow wimp whom we hadn't ridden with. He was talking about my riding the hills and difficulties breathing. "It's the best time to talk to M because she can't talk back," my fellow riders commented. I'm going to my fellow Wimps!




Comments