Powderhorn 24 was complete at 7pm yesterday. It was another fun experience even though we did our group ride (first ride of the 24 hours) in the rain. Actually, we spent a couple hours in the rain and several hours after in wet. The weather (after Friday's rain) for year's ride (24 hour relay is maybe the best way to explain) was wonderful. We had two new members for the ride, but I think we all bonded and had a great time. All of us kept the tradition of sporting our tutus. I love the group ride at the beginning and end when we all have our tutus. It's quite a sight.
One thing we focused on this year was doing more bonus laps. Some of the bonus laps are better than others. For example, one member had to have hot sauce poured on her tongue then eat a tortilla. Another member had to sit in a circle and answer Richard Gere trivia. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't taken so long. During the time of this challenge, one could hear others complaining about this too. My worst bonus was being blinded for Foxy (pin the tail on the donkey... fox). My favorite challenge was one an community center. I biked up to the challenge, and they explained we were building a food shelf for the community center. Of course, no one had nonperishable food items and/or hygiene items on their bikes. PH24 riders were given a couple hours to bring something back to the food shelf, but they also let us know the Seward Coop was across the street. I left my bike, walked across the street, and purchased toilet paper to add to the other items.
This year I also had one favorite checkpoint although it started out as my least favorite. Friday night on my 2-4 am shift on I took a wrong turn (it's supposed to be a circle) and became disoriented (lost). I have no sense of direction and often don't know my right from my left. When I was almost to checkpoint 4, I realized I missed 3. I rode around trying to find it. As I rode up to get the manifest punched, they told me they couldn't check it because I was entering from the wrong direction. I had to circle around to enter from the correct direction. However, this was also the stop on Saturday when I was given free coffee. Peace Coffee was giving out bags of beans. They gave me a bag of dark roast, and I was once again in happy about this checkpoint. Later when I was driving by, I was given a cup of hot Peace Coffee. Actually, they were kind enough to put it in my water bottle, so I could enjoy it when I returned to the campsite.
Lastly, we also had a 11 week lab puppy with us this year. Britt stayed at camp. We took turns with walking and entertaining. This puppy is adorable. I spent quite a bit of time walking (holding) Britt Friday night during the rain. Many people stopped to say hi and pet the puppy. By Saturday morning, some riders were even stopping by to say hi and pet the puppy. My guess is Britt will be too big to join us again next year, but I'm guessing we'll be back as the Biker Tutu Chicks.
One thing we focused on this year was doing more bonus laps. Some of the bonus laps are better than others. For example, one member had to have hot sauce poured on her tongue then eat a tortilla. Another member had to sit in a circle and answer Richard Gere trivia. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't taken so long. During the time of this challenge, one could hear others complaining about this too. My worst bonus was being blinded for Foxy (pin the tail on the donkey... fox). My favorite challenge was one an community center. I biked up to the challenge, and they explained we were building a food shelf for the community center. Of course, no one had nonperishable food items and/or hygiene items on their bikes. PH24 riders were given a couple hours to bring something back to the food shelf, but they also let us know the Seward Coop was across the street. I left my bike, walked across the street, and purchased toilet paper to add to the other items.
This year I also had one favorite checkpoint although it started out as my least favorite. Friday night on my 2-4 am shift on I took a wrong turn (it's supposed to be a circle) and became disoriented (lost). I have no sense of direction and often don't know my right from my left. When I was almost to checkpoint 4, I realized I missed 3. I rode around trying to find it. As I rode up to get the manifest punched, they told me they couldn't check it because I was entering from the wrong direction. I had to circle around to enter from the correct direction. However, this was also the stop on Saturday when I was given free coffee. Peace Coffee was giving out bags of beans. They gave me a bag of dark roast, and I was once again in happy about this checkpoint. Later when I was driving by, I was given a cup of hot Peace Coffee. Actually, they were kind enough to put it in my water bottle, so I could enjoy it when I returned to the campsite.
![]() |
| Biting a bike chain only leaves bike chain grease on one's face. |


Comments