I consider Okoboji my home. Not only did I live there all my years until I went to college, I've always made frequent (almost monthly) trips back to visit.
When I was younger, my dad bought land in the country. We never lived on the land, but we spend time out "in the country." For a couple years, we hauled water to take care of many little trees. Now they're adult trees.
Later, when my parents divorced, my dad built a house and moved out to the land. I helped with the move and painting. It's been over ten years since the move, and now another stage comes to life. My dad is auctioning the land and house. It's sad and perhaps a bit traumatic for me.
One chair remains in the garage. I pulled it to the front of the house and sat looking out over the land for a few hours on Thursday. Going to Iowa is always a "get away."
Of course, I can return to visit Boji and my friends, but I will miss the open space of the farm, sitting on the deck at night and being able to see all of the stars in the sky, standing still and watching the wildlife makes its way across the land. I guess it's always been "my cabin."
Comments