Today I met with the gentleman I will be teaching with next year. He is a new teacher (kind of) and soooo excited, and perhaps a bit nervous, about teaching this year. Last year, after he was hired, I suggested he come in my room and watch me teach. Today he mentioned this was a positive experience that shaped his viewpoint as he finished classes this summer. I'll admit this was as exciting as when the ladies asked if I was Peace Corp person on Monday. Anyway, his enthusiasm is contagious.
Of course, I've been thinking about ideas for the new year. One crazy idea I had was to use Storybird to have students think/write about community at the beginning of the year instead of merely using whiteboards. I thought it might be a bit crazy (over the top), but he liked the idea this morning. I guess I'm going to play a little more with Storybird.
Next week I will spend one day working at the district as this young man's content mentor. We spend a half day at the district and a half day back at our school. I warned him that the person he sees at the district will be crabby and confrontational, but I'll be back closer to my normal self when we return to school. He appreciated this. We'll see if it's the same next week.
It's good for me to get back into thinking about school, but I'm a bit saddened that summer is almost over. Here we go!

Comments