Spring by Mary Oliver
This morning two birds
fell down the side of the maple tree
like a tuft of fire, a wheel of fire
a love knot out of control as they plunged through the air
pressed against each other
and I thought
how I meant to live a quiet life
how I meant to live a life of mildness and meditation
tapping the careful words against each other
and I thought--
as though I were suddenly spinning, like a bar of silver
as though I had shaken my arms and lo! they were wings--
of the Buddha
when he rose from his green garden
when he rose in his powerful ivory body
when he turned to the long dusty road without end
when he covered his hair with ribbons and the petals of flowers
when he opened his hands to the world
Although I thought about skipping church this morning to make sure I was able to get in my bike ride and catch the May Day parade, I am glad I went if only for the Prince quote I read as I walked in and the Mary Oliver poem.
I did go on my bike ride and did spend time at the May Day parade by combining the two activities. It has been a grand day, and I don't think I want to spoil it by grading poetry books.
Actually, I probably won't grade poetry books, and I'll feel guilty. I think it would be good for me to skip grading and learn to handle my guilt. After all, I still haven't watch then entire White House Correspondents Dinner. Plus, I need to get groceries, put the laundry away and paint my nails.





Comments
What will the nail color be?
LH -MintCondition
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3570051#