After a day of proctoring standardized testing, riding my bike was amazing. I disagree with the amount of time students are forced to spend taking tests. I also begrudge the time that is taken away from teaching in my classroom. Although I HATE testing, it does give me time to read while the students are testing. Today I finished one book and read two.
I finished This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett. I have read three of Patchett's books (State of Wonder, Run, Bel Canto) and loved them. The three were fiction while the one I finished today was non-fiction. Basically it was a book of essays (produced at various times in her life). Some of the essays were really interesting while many were meh. 3 of 5
I read two other books which were both YA. I read them because I'm looking for an American Indian/Native American novel for the seventh graders. Both are novels in verse.
Sweetgrass Basket is a book of two sisters who are sent to a boarding school. These girls struggle in the boarding school. Although it did address the girls wanting to keep their language, I felt it could have talked more about leaving their culture to live in the boarding school. It was good, but I wanted more. 3 of 5
Finally, I read Who Will Tell my Brother?. I saved the "best for last." It was thought-provoking and real. Evan is an American Indian/Native American (actually, mixed race) who is bothered by the schools Indian mascot. As he request to have the mascot changed, he is met with bullying and name calling. I'm excited about teaching this book. It's relevant and thought-provoking. As I was reading, I actually wanted to start doing some research about mascots and derogatory Indian names, but I was proctoring the test and couldn't be on the computer. Now, I need to see what others think (cross-district) of my choice.
Tomorrow I'm going to read Growing Up Native American: An Anthology. Actually, I'm going to start it. I'm not sure that it's age appropriate. I'm also going to read Ten Little Indians: stories by Alexie Sherman. If I have time, I need to continue reading The Goldfinch.
Comments
A picture book that might be a good kick off is The Ledgerbook of Thomas Blue Eagle.
I love that book.
i want to read the mascot book. Interesting!