Thanks
By W. S. Merwin
Listen
with the night falling we are saying thank you
we are stopping on the bridges to bow from the railings
we are running out of the glass rooms
with our mouths full of food to look at the sky
and say thank you
we are standing by the water thanking it
standing by the windows looking out
in our directions...
Thanks! I give thanks for the Lenten Photo Challenge. It's given me a focus for each day. Some days are obviously more difficult than others, but I've enjoyed finding a poem and song for each day. Today's songs were fun since they're all by great female artists. As part of my Lenten practice, I've also tried to add three things I'm thankful for (gratitude list) at the bottom of my post. My life is full of positives, and this should be easier than it seems to be.
I'm giving thanks today for the first day of spring break. It's 9:30, and I've done nothing but drink coffee which has been delightful. I had a bad, but necessary, teaching moment on Friday. Even though I knew students needed two more days to finish and edit their essays (not my honors class but the others), I told them they needed to be finished by Sunday which gave them a little more time at home to work. I'm feeling guilty about this as I sit down to grade the essays, but it was done out of necessity. It's probable that we will go work to rule since we still don't have a contract, and the district isn't negotiating. This means it wouldn't be possible for me to get the essays graded, so I really wanted to get them graded over break before we take this action. While I'm grading these, I hope I keep this in mind.
Today I give thanks for...
1) jelly beans (I should NOT buy any more spicy jelly beans.)
2) a friend whom I was worried about... we had dinner last night...
3) sleeping in and drinking copious amounts of coffee
Comments