"Surround yourself with people who are smarter than you." Russell Simmons
Anecdote of the Jar by Wallace Stevens
I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
SURROUND that hill.
The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and a port in air.
It took dominion everywhere.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird and bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.
"When the visions around you/ Bring tears to your eyes/And all that SURROUNDs you/ are secrets and lies..." NSYNC
I most certainly surround myself with people who are smarter than I am. In fact, I typically surround myself with smart, kind, and positive people. Sometimes, I question how this even happens, but I have wonderful people in my life which makes my life pretty darn good. It seems fairly obvious that the people in one's life control one's outlook on life... right?! Think about how wonderful my life would be if Justin Timberlake was one of those people surrounding me... just saying.
Tonight, the Iowa State Cyclone fans will surround the men's basketball team with cheers. I hope it's enough for them to win their first game in the Big XII tournament. I'll also surround them with my good thoughts.
Today's gratitude list...
1) Justin Timberlake and his music
2) John Coy and Wing Young Huie's new book
3) Kind people surrounding me with concern about my health
4) The Grand Canyon... I need to get back.
Comments