![]() |
| The robins need spring... more than a calendar date. |
The Spirit Likes to Dress Up by Mary Oliver
The spirit
likes to dress up like this:
ten fingers
ten toes,
shoulders, and all the rest
at night
in the black branches,
in the morning
in the blue branches
of the world.
It could float, of course,
but would rather
plumb rough matter.
Airy and shapeless thing,
it NEEDS
the metaphor of the body,
lime and appetite
the oceanic fluids;
it needs the body's world,
instinct
and imagination
and the dark hug of time,
sweetness
and tangibility,
to be understood,
to be more than pure light
that burns
where no one is--
so it enters us--
in the morning
shines from brute comfort
like a stitch of lightning;
and at night
lights up the deep and wondrous
drownings of the body
like a star.
Need. The truth is that I am a blessed individual who doesn't need anything. Of course, there are a lot of things that I would like and/or want, but I don't need anything. Most people I know could probably say the same thing. Unfortunately, there is a need for justice for many in our country. Currently, I am reading Just Mercy. After each chapter, I feel the need to put the book down to clear my head before reading more about the injustices reported in this book. I know it happens everywhere, and it's hard to understand.
Today I give thanks for...
1) Today's Maundy Thursday service
2) signing my mortgage (refinancing)
3) not needing anything

Comments