Today the seventh graders went to Richardson Nature Center for a day of looking at Raptors, snowshoeing and a bit of sledding. Yesterday's six to eight inches of fluffy snow made for a perfect day, a winter wonderland. Because people are nice to me, I was able to stay outside (snowshoeing and sledding) all day and didn't have to watch the Raptors being fed dead furry creatures although some students felt the need to share this experience at lunch.
During the first morning snowshoeing excursion, the naturalist asked the students to pause and be silent for sixty seconds. It took two or three tries, but soon everyone was quiet and listening to nature. This was at the same time I witnessed this beautiful sight and decided to take a picture. Unfortunately, I had not muted my sound, so the silence of the group was broken by the sound of my phone taking a picture.
As we were snowshoeing in another group, a student wanted to take pictures, but her phone had died. "What do you want to take a picture of?" I asked. Her reply was nature, so I stopped occasionally, handed her my phone, and let her take pictures. I emailed them to her when we returned to school. My other favorite part of the day was watching a boy who had never sledded, take a face full of snow and wind on his first trip down the hill. He still loved it. When he got up, I asked, "Best day ever?" It's not the best day ever, but it was a dang good day.
Comments
Which raptors were there???