You're the Voice
We have the chance to turn the pages over
We can write what we want to write
We gotta make ends meet, before we get much older
We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son
How long can we look at each other
Down the barrel of a gun?
You're the voice try and understand it
Make a noise and make it clear
We're not gonna sit in silence
We're not gonna live with fear...
by John Farnham
Today's word is voice. Last year we had a staff activity at which we needed to make a group book. On one of the pages we needed to explain why we teach. My page described giving kids a voice. It's really why I do what I do. Sometimes, however, I forget that these seventh graders are also listening to my stories. Earlier in the year, when we were talking about insecurities in order to build some trust and understanding in my classroom, I shared some of my insecurities. I also told the story about when I was in middle school, my grandma buying me a new outfit, wearing it to school, having everyone make fun of me, and never wearing it again. Today we were talking about moments for our "Moment in Time" writing (It's a personal narrative type of story.). One of my prompts was a time with someone special. I mentioned that I remember a time when I went shopping with my grandma, and she bought me a new outfit. "Was that the outfit?" one of the girls asked. She was remembering my story from the first week of school. It seems they really do listen to me.
Our voice should be used to fight the injustices big and small in the world. People are listening.
Today I give thanks for...
1. Quiet during lunch to post to my blog.
2. An engagement canceled tonight. Although I'm sad about the cancelation, a night at home sounds delightful.
3. Students who listen.
Comments