Covenant by Tennessee Williams
If you are happy, I will give you an apple,
if you are anxious, I will twist your arm,
and if you permit me, I will be glad to hold you
close to my heart forever and do you no harm.
If I am happy, will you give me an apple?
If I am anxious, you may twist my arm.
And if you would like to, I would like you to hold me
close to your heart forever and do me no harm.
This is a bargain, only two can make it.
This is a covenant offered with desperate calm,
it being uncertain that lovers can drive out demons
with the gift of an apple or the twist of an arm.
Posting in the morning is good because I can sit and drink my coffee while perusing my pictures for one that matches the word. Finding poems and songs is also typically a pleasant experience, unless, of course, the word is covenant (Today's song has no lyrics). A covenant is a promise, a pledge, a guarantee... I made a covenant with myself to work out at least three times a week. It hasn't worked out since I've been busy and stressed. Last night I skipped the gym to grade journals. Although I should have followed through with the covenant to work out, the end of the quarter is nearing, and journals are graded.
Today I give thanks for...
1) journals graded (even if it meant skipping the gym)
2) colleagues with kind words (from yesterday)
3) DEAR during advisory this morning (Drop Everything And Read)
DEAR in our school stands for Drop Everything Almost Read. Please excuse the snarky comment at the end of the gratitudes. I really am thankful and ready to read today.

Comments