| Picture of Mississippi River from Yesterday's Ride |
the Meadowlark Begins to Sing by Mary Oliver
Sixty-seven years, oh Lord, to look at the clouds,
the trees in deep, moist summer,
daisies and morning glories
opening every morning
their small, ecstatic faces--
Or maybe I should just say
how I wish I had a voice
like the meadowlark's
sweet, clear, and reliably
slurring all day long
from the fencepost, or the long grass
where it lives
in a tiny but adequate grass hut
beside the mullein and the everlasting,
the faint-pink roses
that have never been improved, but come to bud
then open like little soft sighs
under the meadowlark's whistle, its breath-praise,
its thrill-song, its anthem, its thanks its
alleluia. Alleluia, oh Lord.
Another Sunday brings the word celebrate once again. Yesterday's weather was a reason to celebrate. It helped me make the decision to ignore grading and hit the trails with my bike. When I left, it was 54º. February and 54º means one MUST get outside. Unfortunately, it also means the trails are full of puddles and mud. As I was going down the "correct" path of one section and judging those who had gone done the "incorrect" path, I realized I was actually on the wrong lane since I had to navigate a melting ice chunk. As I went through the ice/water mixture, I was certain I was going to crash, but I kept my bike upright. Everyone was on the trails celebrating the warm weather. It was a glorious day.
| Jacket after ride. This is what it will also look like in April. |
Today I give thanks for...
1) yesterday's workout (spin class and biking outside) and warmer weather
2) A spring type day making Mary Oliver's poem seem relevant, we really will get spring and summer.
3) Both the appraiser and chimney check guy came today saving me time since chimney guy was scheduled for tomorrow.
Comments