During our academic seminar this morning, students had a type of study hall. I asked students to show me their grades and then focused them on an assignment. When one student brought his computer, I realized he was in a reading intervention class. From working with this student, I knew he was in the wrong setting, so I checked his test scores. Although this student does little work, he's bright (maybe too bright). Immediately, I questioned why a student who meets and exceeds proficiency was in a remedial class. His MAP (the other ridiculous test we take) scores were low last year. Would they really only look at one set of scores to place this student? I called the student to my desk and explained why blowing of tests was problematic. I also told him that I was going to get him removed from the class by the end of the day. As of lunchtime, he will no longer be in this class. I know this because at lunch, he came to ask me, "Why do you care?" He was happy about the move, and I explained why I cared. Shouldn't we all?
During our academic seminar this morning, students had a type of study hall. I asked students to show me their grades and then focused them on an assignment. When one student brought his computer, I realized he was in a reading intervention class. From working with this student, I knew he was in the wrong setting, so I checked his test scores. Although this student does little work, he's bright (maybe too bright). Immediately, I questioned why a student who meets and exceeds proficiency was in a remedial class. His MAP (the other ridiculous test we take) scores were low last year. Would they really only look at one set of scores to place this student? I called the student to my desk and explained why blowing of tests was problematic. I also told him that I was going to get him removed from the class by the end of the day. As of lunchtime, he will no longer be in this class. I know this because at lunch, he came to ask me, "Why do you care?" He was happy about the move, and I explained why I cared. Shouldn't we all?

Comments
I find that statement heartbreaking.