Teaching is a difficult career (more than a job) although many would disagree. Today Wing Young Huie made his third visit to my classroom. Our focus today was looking at zines, thinking about the photographs, and trying to put words to what we saw. As Mr. Huie presented, I sat on the floor listening and watching the students reaction. To be honest, I also did a bit of crowd control. Anyway, as I sat taking in the atmosphere, I realized the importance of having students write before they give their answers orally. Sitting on the floor gave me a chance to reflect on my teaching. What can I do better when I am in front of the students? What makes students engage and disengage? Wing Young Huie is a natural at engaging and changing with each class, and it was fun to watch. Since I was literally sitting on the floor next to them, I was also able to get more insight. I know this seems weird, but it reminded me of the strategies used each day in classrooms to keep everyone involved and participating.
Teaching is a difficult career (more than a job) although many would disagree. Today Wing Young Huie made his third visit to my classroom. Our focus today was looking at zines, thinking about the photographs, and trying to put words to what we saw. As Mr. Huie presented, I sat on the floor listening and watching the students reaction. To be honest, I also did a bit of crowd control. Anyway, as I sat taking in the atmosphere, I realized the importance of having students write before they give their answers orally. Sitting on the floor gave me a chance to reflect on my teaching. What can I do better when I am in front of the students? What makes students engage and disengage? Wing Young Huie is a natural at engaging and changing with each class, and it was fun to watch. Since I was literally sitting on the floor next to them, I was also able to get more insight. I know this seems weird, but it reminded me of the strategies used each day in classrooms to keep everyone involved and participating.
Comments