I will admit that I really like my students. For the most part, they're good and kind and funny and honest... and ANNOYING.
1) On Friday a girl stopped after school. She said her parents wanted to know why her journal grade hadn't changed. I explained: 1) Journal grades don't change. 2) A week warning was given before I graded them. 3) You haven't discussed changing the grade. 4) You haven't DONE anything to change it. Do grades change magically? Then I began to wonder... Maybe I should call the bank to see if my checking balance has changed.
2) My "honors" class is doing basically the same assignment as my regular students, yet last night I received four emails from "honors" students about the assignment. It's a complete learned helplessness. Granted they had a honors science field trip yesterday, but the three students who were in regular language arts and honors science figured it out without any problem. Having honors for these students in seventh grade is a joke. They are only "honors" in their minds and maybe their parents.
3) This morning I answered another honors email and an email from a mother that wanted to know if her daughter had turned in an assignment. This isn't horrible since the mom is merely checking in (and should be checking in). Of course, the student didn't do the assignment. I have an idea. Instead of sitting down to email the teacher, why not sit down and look at the assignment with one's student. Then, one will know if the assignment is completed.
Whew! Venting done for this morning. Time to go to work.

Comments
I'm starting to do some math grouping.
I kind of hate it.
And this post made me smile. So many connections.