Skip to main content

It's not Braggin



"It's not bragging if you can back it up."  ~Muhammed Ali


Today I am preparing to go downtown for the NCTE Annual Convention, and I'm excited.  It, however, has not been an easy process.  In early September, I emailed a former colleague and asked her if she would sub these two days of the convention.  She agreed.  A week ago I sent her the plans and Google presentations.  She was excited.  Tuesday I received an email telling of her new health problem and inability to teach my class.  I did not take it well.  Instead of remaining calm, I panicked.  My panic and running around (lucky to have a speaker and a couple other teachers in my room) helped me procure a sub.

As I walked into the room, in which she was subbing, our building sub was talking to her telling her she should take my job.  The building sub (who I don't think has ever subbed in my room since I didn't have a sub at all last year) was telling her the kids would be good, and I would be super organized.  I assured her that this was all true (and followed up by threatening the kids yesterday). To sweeten the deal I told her she'd be teaching, actually teaching, instead of watching a movie.  The students will actually have legitimate work to do.  This isn't bragging since I can back it up.  To make my job seem like a better option, I told the building sub that she'd be watching a movie for the two days.



Comments

lee said…
Wowza. Stuff like this gets me panicky. You handled it brilliantly, as per usual.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...