Saturday I backed into a pole. I had looked behind me, but the pole was in my blind spot. To expedite the process, I downloaded State Farm's pocket app. Today they called to check in with me and informed me I didn't take a picture of the VIN number and mileage, so I needed to go through the process again. At this point, I started to freak out. My car is a 2004 with 186,500 miles. What if they said the damage was worth more than the car? Tonight I received my answer when the estimate arrived. It still will be expensive with my deductible and rental car, but it won't be horrible.
Motto by Langston Hughes
I play it cool
I did all jive
That's the reason
I stay alive
My motto
As I live and learn
Is dig and be dug
in return
Today the seventh graders journaled about Langston Hughes' poem Motto. When they finished journaling, I asked them how it related to the book (The Skin I'm In) that we were reading. The answers were thoughtful, and I was thankful because I thought it was a tough poem due to language like jive and dig. When it was time to read, one young man called me over to show me the word jive in the text. Honestly, I didn't know the word was in the text when I chose the poem, but it made me happy about today's journal choice.
Comments