![]() |
| When the cathedral was built, limestone was brought from the south. Limestone craftsman (mainly African American) were also brought in because Minnesotans could work with the different limestone. |
![]() |
| Everyone wore some form of yellow! I need to research the Dred Scott Decision. |
- We started at MLK Park. A couple of years ago the neighborhood park created controversy as the black residents were not pleased about the idea of a dog park in the neighborhood. Now they have the first Civil Rights themed playground in Minneapolis (perhaps the country).
- We also visited the new Seward Coop. One's first opinion would be that a new Coop in this predominately Black and Latino neighborhood would be welcomed, but it has brought an interesting conversation about gentrification.
- We also stopped at Lake Calhoun and discussed the renaming of the lake. At one point in the evening, maybe at the lake. One of the leaders discussed using the word enslaved vs. slaves. He said it's important not to name the people but the action. The weren't slaves; they were enslaved. I'm going to make this change and share it with others!
- Our stop at Fort Snelling produced a Dred Scott conversation since Dred Scott was enslaved by a doctor which was part of the Dred Scott decision. Recently, Huckabee stated that it was still the "law of the land" when speaking of immigrants. We need to keep an eye on the news, yep, we, all of us.
- Later stops included looking at Cap Wigington's architecture, talking about Gordon Parks, and a discussing August Wilson and Penumbra Theater. Besides starting to use the word enslaved, I am also going to try to read all of Wilson's plays.
![]() |
| Difficult to photograph Minneapolis across the Lake at night. |
Wow! It was an amazing ten hours of riding and conversation. It, however, was COLD. I can't remember a ride that was so cold. Kind hearted people shared an extra layers and a pair of gloves, and I was still cold and shaking. Now I'm trying to stay awake for the Counting Crows concert, so I can sleep tonight.



Comments