Although this video has little to do with my post, I'm a fan, and I think it's intelligent.
As I walked into Whole Foods tonight, Black Lives Matter was protesting in the front of the store and its aisles. They were loud and unintelligible. I, of course, support Black Lives Matter, but I had no idea why they were at Whole Foods or what, specifically, they were protesting. I thought that someone would hand me a paper or stop and explain what was happening. If their message had been supported with some intelligent conversation (written or oral), I would have been supportive. Unfortunately, I left confused at their purpose. It also reminded me of how black stereotypes continue because of the actions of a select few. When I arrived home, I googled to find answers. It seems their protests in Whole Foods stems from an incident at a Whole Foods in Baltimore. When I talk about the importance of English Language Arts this year, I will mentions today's protest. It is important to have a voice, but to have a voice, one needs to be understood. In a way, their message was received because I took the time to research the incident when I returned home, but this was only because I cared from the start.
Comments